Today is Jon’s 29th birthday! I’m so grateful for Jon and can’t believe we met when he was 22 (has it been that long already?). Here are a few things I love about Jon to celebrate his birthday.
- He will do anything to help someone. No, seriously, Jon will drop anything he is doing to help out. Whether it’s helping with a move, going to pick up food, or making a few trips for someone, Jon is always there to help out. This was one of the first things that made me realize I loved Jon, and it’s something I’m always appreciative of.
A Polaroid from our wedding day.
2. Jon is the most supportive person in my life. When we met, he was supportive of me in my major, and he has continued to be supportive of me in everything I’ve ever wanted to do. He was so supportive of my job that he moved all the way to Guatemala with me. He even supports me in my diet coke addiction. 😉 I can’t imagine my life without him.
3. Jon is passionate about sustainable agriculture and re-designing the food industry. I love that he is passionate about this and hope I can be as supportive of him as he has been for me and my interests. I’ve also loved learning more about the food industry, our impact on the environment, and permaculture from him.
For example, he recently taught me that Ajachel (Matasano in Spanish) is the Kaqchikel word for a piece of local fruit that grows here. That’s where the name Panajachel comes from–the name of this local fruit in the local language. I love that Jon is knowledgeable about this stuff!
At a farmer’s market during the fall we started dating.
4. We travel so well together! And it’s been fun to travel around the world as a couple. So far, we have been to Mexico (several times), Turkey, Belize, and Guatemala together. Not to mention that one time we road tripped from Massachusetts to Utah together before we even started dating. I can’t wait to keep traveling with Jon, and we already have a list of places around the world that we want to go.
Checking out some ruins at El Tajín in Poza Rica, Mexico.
5. Jon is one of the most interesting people I’ve ever met. That’s what made us such good friends in the first place, and what has continued to sustain our friendship and marriage. I love when we get into political/philosophical conversations (whether we agree or not) and discuss it for hours. It’s one of the best parts of our relationship.
6. Okay, one last thing–Jon has the best sense of humor. He makes me laugh until I snort at least once a day. Also, I love it when I can make him belly laugh because I know he can’t fake that.
Happy birthday to the love of my life.
Also, couldn’t end without mentioning that it is also my brother Colin’s birthday! I love my brother so much and wish I could be there to celebrate with him. We’ve always been really close, and I love that he and Jon share a birthday. May 25th is a great day!